The Brain Architecture Project at Mitra Lab, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is currently seeking applicants to the following positions:
The Mitra Lab at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is looking for an experienced software engineer whose primary responsibilities will be to develop and maintain web based scientific tools for a large ongoing research project. The lab currently uses a variety of technologies but is looking primarily for a programmer with expertise in Python and Django, one who has the knowledge and flexibility to work effectively in other languages and frameworks (such as Java, PHP, Ruby). This position is for a self-directed person on the programming side and involves intimate, ongoing interaction with our software and wet lab teams to develop dynamic solutions to the problems of managing and presenting large, complex scientific data sets.
- Demonstrated excellence in developing complex software
- Strong web application development experience using modern technologies and MVC architecture, particularly using Python / Django
- Strong understanding of the software development process from start to finish
- Experience using databases and SQL
- Linux / UNIX experience
- Ability to work well in a team and in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and effectively on multiple projects
- MA or higher in computer science, engineering or related field
- Experience with high performance scientific computing, especially GPU computation
- Experience with Ruby, Rails, HOBO, or Java-based web application frameworks
- Experience using MATLAB
- Experience with large images and image processing
- Knowledge of user experience testing and design
- Interest or experience in neuroscience
This is a salaried position, with benefits. Compensation will be set DOE. Applicant will be working out of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in Long Island, NY, a possible long commute from NYC. Local accommodations can be assisted by the lab’s housing office.
Mitra Lab (mitralab.org) is a neuroscience research lab at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. The software developer we are seeking will be part of a team working on our Brain Architecture Project, which aims to assemble available knowledge about the structure of the nervous system, and present it to the wider scientific community in a very accessible way. Read more about the project here: http://brainarchitecture.org/
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter please note your previous web development experience.
Mitra Lab at Cold Spring Harbor is looking for an experienced image processing and analysis expert to serve in a postdoctoral research position. We need someone to work with our team to develop dynamic solutions to the problem of managing and presenting complex scientific data.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- PhD in a suitable discipline with image processing experience (Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, etc)
- Must have a strong computational and mathematical background
- Must have detailed knowledge of image processing in a scientific context
- Must work well in a team and follow project management guidelines
- Must be comfortable multitasking and working in a self directed manner
- Must have working knowledge of Matlab, Linux
- Familiarity with C/C++
- Conceptual familiarity with 3D graphics programing and concepts
- Willing to work in a focused way on a project
- Experience writing image processing routines to extract signals of interest from images
- Trained in computational neuroanatomy in the context of rodent/other histological imaging
- Experience with tractography or the reconstruction of microcircuits from electron microscopy
- Knowledge of registration issues – aligning and registering large images to one another and an atlas
- Experience writing image processing routine to extract signals of interest from images
- Experience processing very large images
- Experience working with the JPEG2000 format
- Experience working with the Djatoka image server
- Experience working with distributed processing
- Experience with distributed data storage and computational frameworks – MPI (multi-CPU), CUDA (GPU / multi-GPU, Opel CL, etc.
- Experience with V/ITK Visualization and Insight toolkit
This is a salaried position, with benefits. Compensation will be set DOE. Applicant must be willing to relocate to Cold Spring Harbor Labs in Long Island NY.
Mitra Lab (mitralab.org) is a neuroscience research lab at Cold Spring Harbor Labs on Long Island. The hire we are seeking will be part of a team working on our Brain Architecture Project, which aims to assemble available knowledge about the structure of the nervous system, and present it to the wider scientific community in a very accessible way. Read more about the project here: http://brainarchitecture.org.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter, noting especially image processing and neuroscience experience and preferred process for software development and project management, to firstname.lastname@example.org.